WhatsApp has over the years, grown to be the most popular mobile messaging platform in the world. As at when it was released, it was only available on mobile. Meaning, only mobile users were able to use the application.
A while after, PC users could download and install WhatsApp application on their computers via the use of emulators like Bluestacks.
A couple of years later, WhatsApp web was introduced. WhatsApp web allows you use the mobile messaging application on your computer without having to toggle between using your computer, and using your phone.
During its initial release, it was only available on Firefox browser. At the time, you’d need to use a Firefox add-on. That has however, changed. Now, whatsapp web is available across major browsers on PC.
The WhatsApp Web is available for download on computer or can be via the web client which is just an address. For the most part, people choose to go with the web client as the desktop software doesn’t bring about anything fancy. Nothing different from what the web client does.
Now, there are a few Tips and Tricks you can learn with using the web client.
In this post, we will be looking at some of these whatsapp web tips and tricks. Some of which, we are pretty sure you didn’t know or having thought the need to try.
Table Of Contents
- Best WhatsApp Web Tips and Tricks
- 1. Use WhatsApp Keyboard Shortcuts
- 2. Use Multiple WhatsApp Accounts On Same Computer
- Method 1. Use Incognito Window
- Method 2. Use WhatsApp Web Proxy
- 3. Pin WhatsApp Web Tab To Get Notifications
- 4. Transfer Files From Phone To PC and PC To Phone
- 5. Read WhatsApp Messages Without Blue Ticks
- 6. Increase Volume Or Change Playback Speed Of Voice Note
- 6. Change WhatsApp Web Background
Best WhatsApp Web Tips and Tricks
These tips and tricks are aimed to improve your WhatsApp web experience. With these tips and tricks, you’d most likely get to use the app on your computer more often than you do on your phone.
So, without further ado, these are some of the best WhatsApp Web Tips and Tricks.
1. Use WhatsApp Keyboard Shortcuts
Shortcuts are fun. They make room for things to be done faster than having to go through processes.
Using the WhatsApp Web client, these are some of the keyboard shortcuts you can use to achieve functions faster:
- Ctrl + N: Start a new chat
- Ctrl + Shift + ]: Next chat
- Ctrl + Shift + [: Previous chat
- Ctrl + E: Archive chat
- Ctrl + Shift + M: Mute chat
- Ctrl + Backspace: Delete chat
- Ctrl + Shift + U: Mark as unread
- Ctrl + Shift + N: Create new group
- Ctrl + P: Open profile status
2. Use Multiple WhatsApp Accounts On Same Computer
We know there are a few ways to use multiple whatsapp accounts on same Android phone. Not only can this be done on Android, use of multiple whatsapp accounts can also be done on iPhone.
Thankfully, you can also use multiple whatsapp accounts on same computer and this is actually a trick. This is handy in cases where you have multiple whatsapp accounts or perhaps, you want to monitor another person’s whatsapp conversation without having to close yours.
There are two ways you can get this done.
Method 1. Use Incognito Window
Incognito window is available on most major browsers. On Firefox, it’s called window.
Simply open an incognito tab on your browser and thereafter, visit web.whatsapp.com. Scan the QR code as required and the whatsapp account will be mirrored on that browser.
With incognito mode, you can open multiple accounts on multiple windows (not tabs) without having to interfere with each other. If you plan on keeping these going, be sure not to close the windows at any point. If you close the incognito window, you’d have to start all over again as login and cookies are not stored in this mode.
Method 2. Use WhatsApp Web Proxy
If having to use different browsers or incognito mode isn’t convenient for you, you can opt in to using WhatsApp web proxy. The WhatsApp web client proxy to use is dyn.web.whatsapp.com. That web client is absolutely safe to use and has been verified by scan advised.
WhatsApp web proxy allows you open two multiple whatsapp accounts on a single PC, on a single window. Just use a new tab and you are good to go. The downside however, is that the proxy malfunctions sometimes. Hence, the incognito mode is most likely a better option, in my opinion.
3. Pin WhatsApp Web Tab To Get Notifications
Usually, when using WhataApp web, you get sound beeps whenever there is a new message. However, in cases where you can easily get engrossed with whatever you are doing, a better option would be pining the tab.
Simply pin the whatsapp web tab to get notifications faster. This moves the tab to the first role of your tabs which is at the left thus making it more visible than others.
To pin the whatsapp web tab, all you need to do is right-click on the whatsapp web tab and select PIN Tab.
After pinning the tab, it will be moved to the left side of your tabs thus making it much easier to access. That way, it wouldn’t make it seem lost in other tabs especially if you are like me who likes to keep many tabs opened. You’d also receive notifications for incoming messages.
To unpin the tab from the browser, simply right click on the tab again and this time, select Unpin tab.
4. Transfer Files From Phone To PC and PC To Phone
Being able to transfer files from your phone to PC or from your PC to phone is doable. And in most cases, much better.
Sight for example, you need to transfer pictures from your phone to your computer. Usually, what comes to mind is sending via Bluetooth or perhaps, via Xender. That, as you know, could take a lot of time.
Hence, a much simpler approach to this, will be using the web feature of whatsapp. That way, you can send files from your computer to your phone faster or from your phone to your computer. Do bare in mind however, that this will entail the use of data and not Wi-Fi connection like Xender. Hence, be conscious of the file size to avoid stories that touch.
Also please note that for this to work, you’d need a second whatsapp account or someone else’s account to transfer from or to.
To use whatsapp web in transferring files between computer and phone, follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp web on your computer
- Launch the whatsapp app on your second phone on your phone and send the file or image to the whatsapp account logged in on your whatsapp web client on your PC.
- Simply download the received file and at this point, it will be stored on your phone or PC automatically.
- Alternatively, send the file to any of your contact you know. Download the file on your phone or computer and thereafter, delete it from the conversation screen. That way, the person has no access to it. That’s if it’s within 5 minutes and the other person doesn’t use GBWhatsapp which has anti revoke.
Again, as earlier mentioned, this process involves the use of data. Hence, be conscious of the file size you are sharing back and forth. You should probably only use this method for small files that are very few. For multiple files, stick to Xender Web or Bluetooth.
5. Read WhatsApp Messages Without Blue Ticks
I’m not a fan of those blue ticks on whatsapp. Can’t figure out why, but I’m not. If you read a message and don’t respond, it will most likely leave a blue tick on the other person’s head. The blue ticks on whatsapp signifies read.
Now, If you don’t plan responding to a Whatsapp message anytime soon and you don’t want to give the other person an impression of you avoiding his/her messages, the best route will be disabling read receipts. In case you don’t want to do that, you can still read the message without having to leave a blue tick (footprints).
To do that, simple follow these steps:
- Go to WhatsApp Web tab on your computer
- Open the chat window where you’re receiving or expecting to receive messages
- Now open any other window e.g. File manager, notepad, etc.
- Resize the window and make it fairly small and place it over the WhatsApp Web client tab in your browser
- Make sure that the messages area in the WhatsApp Web tab is visible, however, do not click away from the window you opened
- Now just wait for the incoming messages to show up on your WhatsApp Web client and read them
- Since the window would be in the foreground, the browser would assume you’re working on a different app hence, the messages would not be marked as read.
When you seem ready to let the sender know you’ve read his/her messages, simply click back on the browser tab where whatsapp web is active. At this point, the grey ticks will change to blue ticks at the sender’s end and they will know you have read the messages.
6. Increase Volume Or Change Playback Speed Of Voice Note
As at when writing this, whatsapp doesn’t allow users to make voice calls or video calls via the whatsapp web client. We don’t know how soon that will be introduced but we hope soon.
For now, users have to make do with voice notes which is available on both computers and phones. While voice notes works well on phones, it can be a bit difficult on PC. It’s actually better to listen to VNs via phones than on computer.
However, if you like the idea of listening to VNs while busy with other stuffs, use of computer can be better advised.
Thankfully, there is a Google chrome extension that lets you adjust the volume of the audio note and even change the playback rate of the voice note. Something you cannot do on your smart phone.
The extension allows you increase the volume of the voice note by about 100% and also let you change the playback rate by 2x.
6. Change WhatsApp Web Background
Like the idea of playing with things? Perhaps, spicing things up, changing backgrounds and the likes?
Well, on whatsapp web using Google chrome browser, you can change the background using an extension. This will change whatsapp background image as well as the chat window.
To change whatsapp web Client background, download and install W.Beautifier extension for Google chrome and install.
- Best WhatsApp Status Quotes : Love, Attitude, Funny, Sad, Short Status
- How To Use New WhatsApp Status Update Feature On iPhone
That’s it. Those are some of the best WhatsApp web tips and tricks you most likely didn’t know about.