Being able to send DM on Instagram which means Direct Message, is a medium through which Instagram users can get to communicate with other users on the platform.
Up until a few years back, I personally didn’t know instagram had a Direct Message feature. All I knew the platform to be, was just a picture and video sharing platform. I didn’t know people can actually send direct messages on the platform.
If you are like the old me who didn’t know you could send Direct Messages on Instagram, you are welcome on board.
Table Of Contents
- How To Send Direct Message On Instagram
- Method 1. Send Direct Message On Instagram Via Profile Page
- Method 2. Send DM On Instagram Without Following or Direct Message To A Private Account
- Method 3. Send Direct Message On Instagram in Bulk
- How To View Direct Messages On Instagram
- Question 1. Can I send Messages On Instagram Using The Instagram Website On Computer?
- Question 2. Can I send DMs On Instagram Using Computer?
How To Send Direct Message On Instagram
In this post, we will be looking at three ways you can actually send DM (Direct Messages) on Instagram. These steps are easy and have been confirmed working.
If perhaps, you know one way it is done, you know what they say about variety being the spice of life, right? I will equally be showing you how to send Direct Messages to instagram users whose account is on private.
Without further ado, let’s begin!
Method 1. Send Direct Message On Instagram Via Profile Page
Yes, there is a normal way of doing this. Being able to send a direct message to a user on Instagram via the user’s profile page simple means you have to first, follow the user and then, message him/her.
Here’s how it’s done.
- Visit the Instagram Account you want to send a DM
- Tap on the follow option if you ain’t following already.
- Having tapped the follow option, that should change to Message. Next, tap on the message option.
- Type in your message and hit the send option.
That’s it. You’ve Successfully sent a DM to a Instagram user.
Now, while that is tagged as the normal way and works all the time, there are two other methods I’d like to share with you.
Let’s move to the next.
Method 2. Send DM On Instagram Without Following or Direct Message To A Private Account
While the first method above entails having to follow the user, this method doesn’t. This method doesn’t require you having to follow the Instagram user.
More importantly, this method allows you send direct message to a private Instagram account.
How is it done? Follow these steps:
- Visit the Instagram account you want to send A DM to
- Tap on the options icon located at the top right side of the page
- Among the options, select Send Message
- Type in your message and hit send.
That’s it. You’ve successfully sent a direct message to a private Instagram account or a Instagram user without having to follow.
The problem with this method however, is the fact that you do not know when the user reads the message. Unlike the first method which states seen when the user reads the message (if he/she is following you back), this doesn’t.
Why? Messages sent via this method appears in the recipient’s message requests folder. Although they may read it, you may not be notified. You only get notified if they choose to accept further messages from you after the first.
Having said that, let’s look at the last but not the least method.
Method 3. Send Direct Message On Instagram in Bulk
If you are looking to send same message to a number of persons on Instagram, this is the way to go. Rather than sending each and every one of them same message, use this method instead.
To send messages on Instagram in bulk, follow these steps:
- Go to the direct messages folder on Instagram
- Tap on the + icon which signifies compose or new
- Search or select the Instagram users you want to send the messages to. These accounts don’t necessarily have to be following you.
- When done selecting recipients, tap on the Next option.
- You can decide to name the group if you want. Input your message and when done, hit the send option.
That’s it. You’ve successfully sent messages to a number of persons on Instagram in bulk.
Again, if the recipient isn’t following you back, you may or may not be notified when he/she views your message.
How To View Direct Messages On Instagram
While we’ve talked on how to send messages on Instagram, it makes sense to also discuss how to view direct messages on the multimedia sharing platform. That way, you know not only how to send, but also how to view received messages.
To view direct messages on Instagram, follow these steps:
- Launch the Instagram application and input your correct login information if you haven’t already
- On the homepage, tap on the direct icon.
- Therein, you will see all the messages, if any.
There you go! That’s how to view direct messages on Instagram.
Now, let’s go a bit more advanced. Let’s look at a few QnAs.
Question 1. Can I send Messages On Instagram Using The Instagram Website On Computer?
Technically, no. You cannot send or view messages on Instagram using the Instagram website on computer. However, there are a few third-party desktop clients that allows you do that.
You equally cannot do same using the browser on your phone. The browser version only allows you view posts, discover people, follow and unfollow, comment, like, ET cetera.
To effectively use Instagram, it is advised that you use the application which is available on Android and iOS.
Question 2. Can I send DMs On Instagram Using Computer?
Technically, no. However, there could be a way around this and that’s having android emulators.
Android emulators allow you run some Android apps on your computer with ease. Hence, with this, you may be able to send DMs on Instagram using your computer. There’s absolutely no harm in trying.
There you have it. That’s all there is to know in regards Instagram DM and being able to send and view Direct messages on Instagram. If you have any questions regarding the subject, do not hesitate to ask using the comment session.