Nexus Mod is a Microsoft Windows-based open-source program associated with Nexus Mods that automates the download and installation of mods for seventeen games as of January 2015, including The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Fallout 3.
Easy organization, installation, and uninstallation of mods are all advantages of using NM over manual mod installation. NM “integrates with the Nexus sites to provide you with a fast, efficient, and much less hassled modding experience,” according to the Nexus site.
However, you might occasionally encounter errors such as Nexus Mod Manager not opening.
We have compiled a list of effective troubleshooting methods for this error notification.
Let’s look at how to troubleshoot the Nexus Mod Manager not opening error.
Solution 1: Disable any 3rd party antivirus software
Antivirus software is one of the most common reasons why the Nexus Mod Manager won’t open. You can try disabling your antivirus to see if the Nexus Mod Manager will start functioning fine. Follow the steps below:
- Navigate to your PC home screen and find the antivirus software icon on the system tray
- Hover your cursor over the antivirus software icon and right-click on it, now select the disable option
Hopefully, after you’ve done this, the nexus mod manager will now be working fine, but if it doesn’t…
Solution 2: Update the Microsoft .Net framework version
Another common reason why Nexus Mod Manager won’t open is that you’re using an outdated version. On your gaming PC, install the latest version of the Net Framework.
If you have the .Net Framework installed on your computer, check its version and then search to see if the most recent version is available. If you find the most recent version, uninstall the previous one, download, and install the new one.
Solution 3: Delete the user config file
- Launch the file explorer on your PC, alternatively, you can press Window + E to quickly open it
- Navigate to the following path in file explorer –
- You’ll find a series of subfolders in the NexusClient.exe folder. Then open the subfolder version with the most recent date.
- Right-click on the user config file in the folder you clicked open and delete it
After deleting, check if Nexus mod manager is still not launching.
Solution 4: Run Nexus Mod manager as an administrator
Number four in our list on how to fix Nexus Mod manager not opening error is to simply run it as an administrator. Below is the how-to-do-it:
- On your computer, open the Nexus Mod Manager folder.
- Right-click the EXE file and select Properties from the drop-down menu.
- In the new window, select the Compatibility tab.
- Check for the option that says “Run this program as an administrator” and check the box next to it
- After that, click ok and apply
Try launching the Nexus Mod Manager to see if it’s now working perfectly.
Solution 5: Completely delete the Black_Tree_Gaming folder
You can also try deleting the Black Tree Gaming folder to see if that resolves the Nexus Mod Manager not opening problem. It’s very simple to accomplish this:
- Using the method from solution 3 above, find the Black Tree Gaming folder.
- Make sure to back up the Black Tree Gaming folder to another location before deleting it.
- To select everything inside the folder, press Ctrl + A and then click Delete.
Solution 6: Uninstall and Reinstall Nexus Mod manager
If you have tried all the above steps, but still, Nexus Mod manager is still not opening, you can uninstall and reinstall it.
When you install Nexus Mod Manager with antivirus turned on, the security software may remove some suspicious but harmless files, preventing Nexus Mod Manager from launching properly.
So, before reinstalling NMM, use solution 1 up there to deactivate your antivirus software.
- To run the uninstall dialog box, press Window + R and then type in appwiz.cpl and enter it
- The dialog command will then list all the programs/software currently installed on your PC, select the Nexus Mod Manager and uninstall it
- When the uninstall process has been completed, you can visit this link here to download the NMM Exe installation package for reinstallation.
Nexus File Manager is one of the most commonly used programs for downloading, installing, updating, and managing game mods. However, it is also true that it fails to launch on occasion, which is extremely inconvenient.
There are a few simple tricks you can try to fix the Nexus Mod Manager not opening issue. These tips will assist you in permanently resolving the problem, allowing you to enjoy a smooth gaming experience on your PC.
Let us know in the comment section if our guide actually works, or if you have any other questions that need to be answered.